Mission and objectives of the Ministry
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation is mandated to formulate and implement a foreign policy that promotes and safeguards Malawi’s interests with emphasis development diplomacy.
The objectives of the Ministry are:
- To facilitate economic activities relating to trade, tourism and investments;
- To coordinate activities related to regional and international cooperation and integration;
- To facilitate the promotion and maintenance of sound arid effective socio-political relations between Malawi and the rest of the world;
- To facilitate the promotion of peace and international security; and
- To facilitate mobilization of resources (capital and technical assistance) from bilateral and multilateral donors.
Under the framework of Development Diplomacy, the strategies of the Ministry include the following;
- Promote trade, investment and tourism through participation in bilateral, regional and multilateral cooperation agreements or arrangements;
- Seek to play a role in mobilizing external resources, in form of capital and technical assistance.
- Support and participate in activities aimed at the promotion of international peace and security of government and human right issues.
- The ministry shall support efforts aimed at the consolidation of economic, social and cultural rights which merit equal importance and attention as civil and political rights.
- Seek to play a constructive and effective role in addressing various challenges facing all peoples of the world and in promoting economic cooperation and global peace and security through its membership to inter alia, the African Union (AU) the Southern African Development Community (SADC), the Common Market for East and Southern Africa (COMESA), the African Development Bank (ADB), the World Trade Organization (WTO), the Commonwealth, the United Nations (UN) and its specialized agencies. Through these multiratel bodies, the Ministry shall seek to contribute to efforts aimed at establishing a stable in political and international economic order including a fair and equitable international trading systems that can stimulate sustainable global social economic growth;
- Support the debate on debt relief and cancellation (such as the HIPC Initiative) at various bilateral and multilateral fora;
- Promote closer cooperation among SADC countries in order to achieve economic integration, enhance trade, spur cross-border tourism, attract foreign direct investment as well as ensure sound environmental management.
- Ensure Malawi’s contribution towards conflict prevention, management and resolution in Africa, through facilitating the country’s participation in peacekeeping and peace building efforts in Africa.
- Seek to facilitate the attraction of foreign direct investment from developed countries, in accordance with its policy of development diplomacy;
- Endeavor to facilitate the securing of sustainable markets for Malawi’s products;
- Promote the production of new technologies which will stimulate social economic development in Malawi;
- Establish diplomatic ties with countries in Eastern Europe South and Central America, Asia and the Pacific, and the Middle East including the Gulf states with a view to expand the export market through the establishment of trade relations with those countries.
- Support efforts aimed at promoting disarmament and the fight against international terrorism.