- Attended the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) Heads of State and Government Summit in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo in August, 2009, where Malawi sought and got the endorsement of the SADC Heads of State and Government for the position of Chairperson of the African Union.
- Facilitated His Excellency the President Dr. Bingu wa Mutharikaâ€™s Official Visit to Mozambique from 10th to 12th August, 2009 where issues of mutual interest between Malawi and Mozambique were discussed.
- Facilitated the participation of His Excellency the President Dr. Bingu wa Mutharika at the 64th Session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York, September, 2009
- Facilitated His Excellency the President Dr. Bingu wa Mutharikaâ€™s Official Visit to Brazil in September, 2009 where Malawi and Brazil signed a general agreement on economic and technical cooperation.
- Attended the 6th Session of the Committee on Trade and Regional Integration, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia inÂ October, 2009.
- Participated at the 8th Session of the Malawi-Zimbabwe Joint Permanent Commission of Cooperation which was held in Harare, Zimbabwe, in November, 2009. Through the JPCC, Malawi and Zimbabwe enhanced their bilateral cooperation and discussed ways of addressing challenges faced in promoting cooperation in trade, among others.
- Attended the Malawi-Scotland Bilateral Cooperation review meeting in November, 2009, where issues under the Malawi-Scotland Cooperation Agreement were discussed.
- Attended the SADC Finance Sub-committee Meeting, Botswana, 24-27 November, 2009. During the meeting, Malawi's interests were advanced especially in removing bottlenecks to free trade.
- Attended the COMESA Organs meetings, Lusaka, Zambia in November, 2009.
- Attended the Forum on China -Africa Cooperation (FOCAC) meeting from 4th to 12th November, 2009. Malawi to benefit from China's development assistance in infrastructure, capacity building, economic and trade development.
- Attended the Heads of State and Government World Summit on Food Security in November, 2009. Advanced Malawi's interests in the food production and food security sector, particularly the Green Belt Initiative.
- Attended the African Union Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia from 25th to 2nd February, 2010, where His Excellency the President Dr. Bingu wa Mutharika was elected Chairperson of the African Union, taking over from Colonel Muamar Gaddafi. His Excellency the President Dr. Bingu wa Mutharika shared his vision of Africa where hunger was a thing of the past after five years.
- Attended the SADC Council of Ministers Meetings in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo in February, 2010.
- Participated in the SADC Standby Force Exercises in Angola, Mozambique and South Africa, comprising civilian, military and police contingents in readiness for the African Standby Force.
- Coordinated and attended the India-Africa Project Partnership 6th CII-Exim Bank Conclave meeting in March, 2010, with a delegation of government and private sector representatives. The forum provided an opportunity for the government and the private sector from Malawi to engage with their counterparts from India. In addition, India extended a US$50 million line of credit to Malawi to assist in the development of agriculture and food security, transport infrastructure and energy.
- Attended the Capacity is Development Event organized by the United Nations Development Programme in Marrakech, Morocco from 16th to 19th March, 2010. During the event, Malawi presented an overview of its progress towards the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). In addition, bilateral discussion with Portugal and Morocco and were held on the sidelines of the event.
- Organized the 14th Session of the Malawi-Zambia Joint Permanent Commission of Cooperation, 24 to 26 March, 2010, and agreed on the need to enhance bilateral cooperation in order to improve the living standards of the peoples of the two countries. During the JPCC meeting, the two countries discussed the state of cooperation in areas such as Foreign Affairs, Local Government, Customs, Transport and Communications, Trade and Industry, Public Works, Finance, Mining, Agriculture and Fisheries, Environment, Tourism, Water Resources, Energy, Education, Youth and Sport as well as Culture.